Distance: 90 km Start and end Nairobi
‘A great challenge and adventurous trek option’
( Trek period may be extended to 6,7 or 8 days circuit at extra )
A combination of the two of Mount Kenyas most challenging and scenic routes , from the lush green forests and U-shaped valleys of Sirimon to the unique features of the temple, mushroom rocks and the Gorge Valleys on the Chogoria approach side . There are several contrast in micro-climatic conditions, Chogoria route being wetter and more moist than Sirimon route. This itinerary accommodations are in huts and camping .
DAY 1: NAIROBI - NANYUKI – SIRIMON- JUDMIER CAMP (OLD MOSES CAMP) 3-4 HRS, 9KM, 860M ASCENT
Depart to Nanyuki for lunch later proceed to the Sirimon Park Gate, 1 hr, 2440m. From the gate follow the track as it winds uphill through the forest which becomes heath land after about 3 hrs. About 3½ hours from the gate the track veers right to Judmier Camp, 3300m for dinner and overnight,
DAY 2: JUDMIER CAMP- SHIPTON CAMP 6-7HRS, 14KM, 900M ASCENT
After breakfast, follow the track uphill, forking left at the junction. After one hour from Old Moses Camp, the track crosses Ontulili River. Go right contouring through the Moorland and crossing Liki North and continue uphill to Mackinders Valley from where there are panoramic views up the valley towards the main peaks. Dinner and overnight at Shipton Camp, 4200m,
DAY 3: SHIPTON CAMP – CIRCUIT WALK TO AUSTRIAN HUT
Spend the day acclimatizing. Walk to Kami Hut down to Hauseberg Lakes (Hauseberg Tarn and Nanyuki Tarn). Walk back to Austrian hut for dinner and overnight ( your guide will provide with updates on the situations up)
DAY 4: AUSTRIAN HUT - POINT LENANA - MOUNT MERU BANDAS (CHOGORIA GATE) 6 HRS, 14KM, 785M
Leave at 3am up a steep stony quarry that cuts through a cliff clearing visible part towards lower Hall Tarns arriving point Lenana at 6:30am, taking about 3hrs. After the sunrise, descend down to Mintos hut, 2hrs, for breakfast and further hrs down to Mount Meru Bandas, 2950m, for dinner and overnight – put up tent.
DAY 5: CHOGORIA BANDAS - CHOGORIA - NAIROBI
Descend 2 hrs walk - 15km to forest clearance to catch a 4x4 transfer vehicle to Chogoria Village where you will connect with your shared transfer vehicle back to Nairobi. END
Package cost :
Included in the price:
- Transfer to and from the base of the mountain
- Full board accommodation whilst on the trek. Meal plan as detailed: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Accommodations in camp at meru bandas and huts as per the itinerary – tents will be provided.
- All park entrance fees to include government taxes
- Service of an English speaking professional guide, porters and skilled cook
- Treated water on the trek.
- On completion, successful climb Certificate
- Laundry, sleeping bags (available for hire at $ 20 each for entire climb period), beverages & drinks, climbing gears and tip to your guide ,porter & cook